As per the syllabus of Mumbai University for Second year Civil Engineering Degree Course, a Surveying Project work is to be carried out. The students are required to conduct the following projects and prepare detailed drawing sheets.
- Radial contouring
- Block contouring
- Longitudinal profiling and cross-sectioning of Roadwork
For the academic year 2021-22, the survey project for students of Semester IV – A and B divisions was conducted in April 2022. The field work for Road project was carried out on 7th April, 2022 at Pillai HOCL Campus, Rasayani for a total length of 500m; while the Block contouring and Radial contouring projects were carried out at Franav Farms, Apta on 8th April, 2022. Initiation and discussions on preparing the four required drawing sheets was carried out on 12th April, 2022 at the college.
The survey camp was conducted with the following objectives:
- To familiarise the students with the some of the surveying works conducted on site like contouring, profiling, cross-sectioning etc.
- To instil the knowledge of taking observations with various surveying instruments like dumpy level, digital theodolite etc.
- To train the student to process the field observations and obtain useful data.
- Calculation of Reduced levels and horizontal distances of points along the radial lines from the staff readings observed during tacheometric survey. Identifying points of same RL and drawing the radial contour map of the region.
- Obtaining the reduced levels pertaining to block contouring project using a dumpy level and to prepare the contour map of the area.
- Alignment of Road on the selected area and deducting the reduced levels pertaining to centreline and two points each on either side of road project. Preparing road profile with Longitudinal sections and Cross sections showing existing ground level and formation level
- Gain knowledge regarding various projects like contouring, profiling, cross-sectioning etc. and to prepare the necessary drawings like Longitudinal sections, Cross sections (Road project) and topographic contour maps of the selected region.